We're now open Saturdays, 9AM - 3PM

About Us

A Smile Can Change Life

News & Media

home / about us / news & media

Get the Daily Brushing Checklist for your Kids!

Registered on 2017. 09. 04

It's important for your kids to know how to keep their teeth happy!

Download the daily brushing checklist today, and help them keep their teeth healthy!

checklist.png

List of Articles

Brush Up On Some Toothbrush History file

• Sep 04, 2017

WITH ALL THE AMAZING technology we see today, it's easy to overlook the small wonders of the world—like the toothbrush! This small, but remarkable invention is the staple of our oral hygiene and health. Join us on a journey through time as we explore the way the toothbrush has changed across the ages! Ancient Civilizations Used Sticks to Clean Their Teeth Today, we understand the importance oral hygiene plays in our overall health. But even over 5,000 years ago people recognized the need for some type of oral care. Babylonian and Egyptian civilizations around 3500-3000 B.C. made “toothbrushes” by fraying the end of sticks and chewing on them! Later, the Chinese made similar chewing sticks from aromatic tree twigs that were meant to freshen breath. People didn’t just use sticks, however. Bird feathers, animal bones and even porcupine quills were used to pick at food debris in the teeth. The First Toothbrushes Were Made with Pig Hair The first mention of an actual brush to clean teeth appears in Chinese writings around the 13th century. Bamboo or animal bone was used as the handle of the toothbrush and pig hair formed the bristles. Toothbrushes weren’t widely used or produced, however, until a coupl...
Read more

Learn the Benefits of Dental Implants at Johnson Family Dental file

• Sep 04, 2017

IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED TOOTH LOSS, you are not alone. In fact, more than 35 million Americans are missing all of their teeth, while 178 million are missing at least one tooth. Here’s the good news: there are solutions for you. Dental Implants Function Much Like Natural Teeth While there are other tooth replacement options, dental implants have many advantages over other treatments. They are called “implants” because an artificial tooth root is placed, or implanted, in your jawbone. It is then covered by a natural-looking tooth replacement. Implants are the only tooth replacement option that incorporate an artificial root, allowing them to function much like natural teeth. There Are Many Benefits to Choosing Implants Here are five major benefits to consider when deciding between dental implants and other tooth restoration options at all of our locations, Solvang, Santa Barbara, Camarillo and Ventura: #1: Dental implants are convenient and long-lasting. Unlike dentures, you don’t need to take them out to eat or clean and there’s no need to reapply them with adhesive. Implants also provide a permanent solution to tooth loss–they are built to last a lifetime if they are well taken care of. #2: Get ...
Read more

Chewing Sugar-Free Gum Boosts Your Oral Health file

• Sep 04, 2017

GUM ISN’T ALL ABOUT freshening your breath. While it definitely helps after that garlic pasta you had for lunch, did you know chewing sugarless gum can also prevent cavities and improve your oral health? Chewing Gum Increases Saliva Flow and Prevents Cavities According to the American Dental Association, studies show that chewing sugar-free gum for 20 minutes after a meal can prevent tooth decay. The act of chewing increases saliva flow in your mouth. The saliva then washes away food and neutralizes acids, cleaning and protecting your teeth from cavity-causing bacteria. You’ll want to make sure your gum is sugar-free, however. While gum that contains sugar also increases saliva flow, the sugar actually feeds the bacteria in your mouth, putting you at greater risk of decay. We definitely don’t want that! Quick tip: Sugarless gum sweetened with xylitol even reduces the amount of bacteria that stick to your teeth! Chewing Gum Helps Strengthen Tooth Enamel Saliva contains necessary calcium and phosphate that strengthens tooth enamel. After a meal, reinforcing your enamel can be especially beneficial in fighting off bacteria and decay. Look for Sugarless Gum with the ADA Seal The ADA seal indicates that the gum has be...
Read more

What To Know About Infant Dental Care And Teething file

• Sep 04, 2017

DENTAL CARE IS IMPORTANT at all ages, even for babies! Here are some tips on how you can care for your child's mouth even before their first precious smile. Good Oral Care Begins Before Teething Even though your baby’s primary teeth won’t come in until they are around four to seven months old, caring for their gums before teeth come in is important. Even before tooth eruption bacteria can leave behind plaque that can damage teeth as they come in. To prevent bacteria from adhering to your baby's gums, gently wipe them down with a soft, moistened washcloth or piece of gauze. Do this at least twice a day, especially after feedings and before bedtime. Teething Can Be A Difficult Time For Your Baby When your little one does finally start teething, it’s normal for them to be fussy and irritable. Common symptoms are difficulty sleeping, decrease in appetite and increased drooling. It’s also normal for their temperature to increase slightly when they’re teething, however, high-grade fevers are not normal. If your child seems overly cranky or has a high fever, call your physician. You Can Keep Your Child Comfortable With These Tips Your baby may seem inconsolable while teething but here are some things...
Read more

Questions for Spring: Are Sports and Energy Drinks Damaging Your Teeth? file

• Sep 04, 2017

DRINKING ENERGY AND SPORTS DRINKS on a regular basis is becoming increasingly popular, especially among young people. But did you know that these drinks can be extremely damaging to your teeth? Sports and Energy Drinks Are Highly Acidic It’s important to remember the purposes of each of these drinks so as not to consume them more often than you should. Energy drinks may provide a pick-me-up during a long day at work, but drinking one or more energy drinks everyday can damage your teeth in the long run. Sports drinks were made to keep your body hydrated and energized during bouts of intense exercise. While they may be beneficial during a good workout, these drinks should never take the place of water and should not be consumed casually or on a daily basis. The reason for this is that both energy and sports drinks are highly acidic.Regularly consuming food or drink with high acidity levels wears away your tooth enamel. This makes teeth more susceptible to cavities, tooth discoloration, and sensitivity. The Combination of Sugar and Acid Packs a Mean Punch Energy and sports drinks launch a twofold attack on your teeth: while acid weakens the enamel, sugar feeds cavity-causing bacteria and contributes to decay. Not a good combo! ...
Read more

Review
What People Are Saying

Came in for a free consultation and also received a free x-ray. I was immediately accommodated and had 3 wisdom teeth extracted in the same visit. Very good service. I had minimal pain and no swelling. Very pleased with the results. Received good instruction on post-surgery care and a caring attitude by the staff.

George T.

Our family has been with Johnson Family Dental for several years now. We are extremely pleased with their services, especially given that our young boys have been introduced to visits to the dentist in a way that they look forward to. That helps alot! And their care for all of us has been superb. Need I say more? Thanks Johnson Family Dental! Oh, did I also mention that we use their Solvang and Santa Barbara locations? Equally fine!

John W.

I've been a patient at Johnson Family Dental for over a year, and this was my third visit, a routine cleaning. I arrived about 15 minutes early, and they were able to see me prior to my appointed time. The assistant took x-rays, Dr. Johnson--always friendly--did a quick exam, and the hygienist did a thorough yet gentle cleaning. The office was clean and bright, the staff was friendly and helpful, and I was on my way with clean teeth!

Greg D.

I am a new customer and was given an immediate appointment for tooth pain and had a root canal. From the very first interaction, every member of the staff were courteous, pleasant and caring. The care was excellent and I would highly recommend them to anyone!

Constance W.

From the reception desk and beyond Johnson family dental makes me feel welcome and comfortable. They seem to understand how nerve wracking it is to go to the dentist even though it is normal to them. I appreciate being made to feel comfortable.

Kerri K.

A very nice place to have all your dental work done. After 17 years of going there that speaks for all my thoghts about Johnson Family Dental.

Heidi H.

This is the best dentist office I've ever been to, excellent location, friendly, clean, modern, quick and competent. In other words, the best.

Brian B.

Very professional and pleasant. Personnel that did the work were very competent and cheerful. Good experience.

Dennis L.

I went as a patient who had a terrible childhood experience and I discovered an amazing family at the Johnson Family Dental who truly treated me.

Dianne G.

I am a long-time customer of Johnson Family Dental - ever since my graduate school days - now living in Reno, Nevada. I still travel back to Santa Barbara, 1000+ miles, for the exceptional dental care I always receive at this fine practice.

Jordan H.